CLEARWATER COUNTY TAXPAYERS ASSOCIATION
May 12, 2016
LESLIEVILLE ELKS HALL
1.0 Welcome and Introductions
- At 7:00 p.m. President Marianne Cole welcomed all those in attendance and called the meeting to order. All those in attendance introduced themselves.
2.0 Approval of Agenda
2. Jack Leslie moved that the agenda be adopted as presented Dan Warkentin seconded. Carried.
3.0 Adoption of Minutes of the Previous Meeting
3. Minutes of the previous meeting of April 14, 2016 were adopted as recorded. Moved by Ken Qually. Seconded by Marion Schafer. Carried.
4.0 Financial Report
4. Marianne Cole read the financial report. Dan Warkentin moved that the financial statements be accepted as presented. Marion Schafer seconded. Carried.
5.0 Business Arising From the Minutes
5.1 Clearwater Action Commitee. There was a meeting May 5 with the committee members Sharon Rubeling, Marianne Cole, Neil Ratcliffe and Debbie Gastonguay hosting. 33 people attended the meeting. Clearwater Action Committee website has been launched at www.clearwater-action.net. Clearwater County councillors were invited to attend the meeting but chose not to attend. They were given a list of questions to answer beforehand that we felt needed answers.
5.2 Winter Gravel Letter. Marianne Cole has written a letter that was delivered to council on May 11th.
6.0 New Business
6.1 The “reveal”. Concept plans for the new county buildings were presented. There is over 43,000 square feet planned for administration alone. In the plans there are 120 office spaces and 6 sets of washrooms in the administration building.
One of our main concerns besides the huge costs projected is that linear assessments are going down as per the presentation at council. There is no guarantee that we will receive the money from this area.
6.2 Further actions: There was discussion about possible action concerning the county plans. Some suggestions were:
- Contact councillors by phone
- Notice of opposition – no legal clout
- Ad in Western Star on front page to attend open house on May 30th
- Present letters and notice of opposition at May 24 council meeting
- Signs to protest at open house
- Mailout to taxpayers
Jim Foesier made a motion to proceed with contacting the Western Star to buy a wrap on the outside of the paper to present building plans and financial costs and is this isn’t feasible we will proceed with flyers. Seconded by Larry Arnold. Carried.
Should council pass development plan we will proceed with a petition against the motion.
6.3 Presentation to council. Marianne Cole will email Ron Leaf to get put on the agenda for the May 24th council meeting to make a presentation outlining out concerns with the county building plans.
8.0 Next meeting June 16th, 2016 at 7:30 p.m.
9.0 Adjournment. Dan Warkentin moved the meeting be adjourned at 9:35 p.m.