CLEARWATER COUNTY TAXPAYERS ASSOCIATION
September 14, 2017
LESLIEVILLE ELKS HALL
1.0 Welcome and introductions
- At 7:30 p.m. President Marianne Cole welcomed all those in attendance. Those in attendance introduced themselves.
2.0 Approval of Agenda
2. Items 6.3, 6.4 and 6.5 were added. Pat Warkentin moved that we approve the agenda with the additions. Ron Hallahan seconded. Carried.
- Minutes of the last meeting
3. Marianne Cole read the minutes of the last meeting held June 15, 2017. Ken Qually moved that the minutes be approved as presented. Larry Titford seconded. Carried.
- Financial Report
4. Pat Butler read the financial report. Pat Butler moved that the financial report by accepted as presented. Trish Bingam seconded. Carried.
- Business arising from the minutes
There was CBF discussion at council and discussion concerning councillor compensation.
5.1 Future action/page in the Western Star. Topics for election discussion:
- No new pavement for 2 years in county
- Electoral boundaries
- Debt load = individual $
- High taxes impeding business
- Crime in the county
- County roads are not being maintained. Maintenance is not being done and is going to cost us more in the future.
Marlene Brattberg made a motion to place 2 half page ads in the Western Star prior to the forum, on September 20 and September 27 and investigate with Daryl Parks for social media/facebook ad with a $200 limit. Tim Hoven seconded. Carried.
The committee to work on the ad will be Laverne Ahlstrom, Ron Hallahan, Marianne Cole and Trish Bingham (tentatively).
Candidates Forum will be held Thursday September 28 @ 7:00 p.m.
MC – Ken Qually moved that Marianne Cole be the MC for the forum. Robert Brattberg seconded. Carried. It was discussed that we will prioritize questions so they aren’t redundant, questions from the floor and time limit on responses. Timer will be Marlene Brattberg. Pat Warkentin, Pat Butler and Laverne Ahlstrom will vet the questions. Marianne Cole will draft an invitation letter to candidates to respond by Friday September 22.
- New Business
6.1 Annual Meeting, November 9, 2017 – Guest speaker? Trish Bingham moved that we invite the Reeve to speak at our annual meeting. Seconded by Ken Qually. Carried.
6.2 Councillor evaluation suggestion (Dan Warkentin)- Dan Warkentin brought up the idea of an annual performance evaluation for councilors. Possible input from a survey on a website and feedback from groups.
6.3 Daylight Savings Time – We took an informal vote for/against Daylight Savings Time and vote was pretty much split evenly. It was suggested to draft a letter to Jason Nixon that the issue should be put to a public vote via a provincial referendum.
6.4 Meat Inspectors/Abattoirs – There is a concern that the rules and regulations from government are discouraging business. There needs to be cooperation between provincial and federal levels of government. Locals have lost options to sell and buy local product.
6.5 New Tax Regulations- The county is sending a letter to the federal government with concerns.
7.0 Next meetings: September 28 (candidates forum) @ 7:00pm, October 12 @ 7:30 and November 9 (AGM) @ 7:00.
8.0 Adjournment – Laverne Ahlstrom moved to adjourn @ 9:30pm Merv Pidherney seconded.
- Next meeting September 14 @ 7:30 pm.
9.0 Dan Warkentin moved for adjournment @ 9:10 p.m. Dennis Anderson seconded.