CLEARWATER COUNTY TAXPAYERS ASSOCIATION
MARCH 9, 2017
LESLIEVILLE ELKS HALL
1.0 Welcome and introductions
- At 7:05 p.m. President Marianne Cole welcomed all those in attendance. Those in attendance introduced themselves.
2.0 Approval of Agenda
2. Ron Hallahan moved that we approve the agenda as presented. Dan Warkentin seconded. Carried.
3.0 Minutes of the last Meeting
3. Marianne Cole read minutes of February 9, 2017 meeting. Jack Leslie moved that minutes be approved as recorded Marion Schafer seconded. Carried.
- Financial Report
4. Pat Butler read the financial report. Pat Butler moved that the financial statements be accepted as presented. Sharon Rubeling seconded. Carried.
- Business arising from the minutes
5.1 Meeting with Pat & Curt. No meeting has taken place. There hasn’t been a meeting time set up with them after letters and talking to them. Marianne Cole will write a letter to council with our communication concerns and to invite councilors to our monthly CCTA meetings. Marianne will look into other county policies regarding communication with residents.
- Report from Area Structure Plan Open House. Regarding the open house that was held, it had a map of the proposed development but no financial figures. There are questions if there is an area structure plan in place and legal issues. There is going to be a special joint meeting between the county and the town on Tuesday @ 2:00.
- New business
- Report from Council Meeting---February 28 written by Helge Nome. Summary is as follows:
- There was a delegation from the town of Rocky to report on public concerns about discharge from the lagoon into the North Saskatchewan River.
- Funding was approved for maintenance of the Aquatic Centre.
- There was a delegation from the Clearwater Broadband Foundation promoting optical fibre for internet in the county. They are looking for a loan from the county of 3.48 million.
- On a recommendation from Public Works, council decided to post “No winter maintenance” signs on roads in the west county that are not being graded in the winter.
- Invitation to councilors to attend meetings. This was addressed in agenda item 5.1.
- Election Update. Dan Warkentin presented a list of 5 election issues that we would like to see county council adopt. To summarize:
- Increase lead time for councilors from agenda to meetings
- County council to develop a communication policy
- County council to adopt a policy to prevent or reduce competition with private business
- County council to adopt a policy to limit the term of the Reeve to two years.
- County council to adopt a policy to clearly communicate Special Council Meetings.
- Getting a question put on the ballot at election time. Discussion took place regarding the process to achieve this.
- Open Forum.
7.1 There was a concern brought forward from the budget deliberations. What is the long term debt interest for that was in the budget? This question was asked in a letter to councilors dated October 14, 2016 and there hasn’t been a reply as of todays date.
- Next Meeting April 13 2017 @ 7:00 p.m.
- Adjournment. Marlene Brattberg moved for adjournment. Al Gaetz seconded.