CLEARWATER COUNTY TAXPAYERS ASSOCIATION
October 13, 2016
Leslieville Elks Hall
- Welcome and Introductions
- At 7:30 PM President Marianne Cole welcomed all those in attendance and called the meeting to order. All those in attendance introduced themselves. There were 16 members in attendance.
- Approval of agenda
Apologies as I did not record who moved to adopt the agenda as presented with additions and who seconded them..
- Adoption of Minutes of the Previous Meeting
- Minutes of the previous meeting of September 8, 2016 were read by Marianne Cole. Jack Leslie moved the minutes be adopted as recorded. Seconded by Ron Schultz. Carried
- Financial Report
- The financials were read and adopted by Ron Schultz and Dennis Ross seconded
- Business arising from the Minutes
5.1 Regarding letters sent to the county – at this time no replies had been received. The letters sent on June 17 asking for more transparency and letter dated September 6 asking for more lead time with the agenda; Marianne to follow up. Dan Wokentin moved that CCTA send a letter to the county requesting the County to review their timeline for sending out their agenda’s to the councillors in a more timely manner. Dan would still like to see at least a week for the councillors to review before meeting. Marlene Brattberg seconded
5.2 FOIP request was made however no response as yet. Sent in September 22, 2016. Marianne read out the letter sent for information regarding Caroline/Rocky Airport. The County had until October 24, 2016 to respond.
5.3 Municipal review: Marianne received a letter stating that CCTA will not be involved in this review. She received a call on October 12, 2016 stating that it is common for the preliminary review to only have a few people involved. They also sent a letter Oct. 13, 2016 which was read out at our meeting. They have a record of all our calls from the last 2 years and that they will be bringing this information to their meetings. We may have a response by Christmas. We are hopeful they see the need to delve further into the working of our County.
5.4 Annual Meeting; It was determined that the annual meeting would be held on November 10, 2016 at 7 PM at the Elks hall in Leslieville. We have guest speaker Jason Nixon coming to talk to the members.
5.5 Dan wanted clarification regarding some of the County Financials. They are not clear to the average taxpayer.
Marianne to add to the letter to the County asking for a definition of “Long term debt”. Why when we have a surplus are we not paying the debt off instead of paying huge interest payments.
- NEW Business
- Council meeting notes – Helge’s notes were discussed. The increase in salaries was brought up at council and Theresa Laing asking for a hold. They turned it down.
- Discussed meeting with Nordegg. This meeting was very positive. It was held October 12, 2016 , the notes from that meeting were read out to the members. Nordegg wanted to clear the air with CCTA. It appears the County is holding their community back, they will not allow them to use the school/firehall for meetings. County constantly putting up roadblocks to the community of Nordegg. It was suggested that CCTA write a letter of support. This will be added to the main letter Marianne is constructing.
- Open Forum
- Jack Leslie spoke about the waste authority and some of its inner workings. It is ½ county and ½ town funded.
- Ken Qually is concerned about the by-law wording regarding parking in sub-divisions. It is not clear as to whom it will affect and how can they control what you park on your own property? Marianne to put in our letter to County asking for “clarification” re: “sub-division” parking laws.
- County Elections are coming up - Laverne Ahlstrom wanted people to start thinking about who they want back on council and to start lobbying people they feel would make a difference.
- Next Meeting November 10, 2016 . There will be no December 2016 meeting.
Meeting was adjorned at 9:50 PM by Dan and seconded by Dennis