CLEARWATER COUNTY TAXPAYERS ASSOCIATION
SEPTEMBER 8, 2016
LESLIEVILLE ELKS HALL
1.0 Welcome and Introductions
- At 7:30 p.m. President Marianne Cole welcomed all those in attendance and called the meeting to order. All those in attendance introduced themselves.
2.0 Approval of Agenda
2. Items 6.5, 6.6 and 7.1 were added. Larry Titford moved that the agenda be adopted as presented with the additions. Dan Warkentin seconded. Carried.
3.0 Adoption of Minutes of the Previous Meeting
3. Minutes of the previous meeting of July 14, 2016 were read by Marianne Cole. Marion Schafer moved that minutes be adopted as recorded. Seconded by Ron Hallahan. Carried.
4.0 Financial Report
4. Sharon Rubeling read the financial report. Al Gaetz moved that the financial statements be accepted as presented. Trish Bingham seconded. Carried.
5.0 Business Arising From the Minutes
5.1 Letter to council. A letter was written to council on June 17, 2016 with our notice of support for the improvement of telecommunications in the county, concerns with the land development on the Airport Road and assessing taxpayer support. This letter was e-mailed and hand delivered to council members. There is no reply from council as of today.
5.2 Letter to council. A letter was written to council on September 6, 2016 outlining our concerns with the short amount of time that councillors have to review the agenda packages before meetings. Our council receives the agenda on the Friday prior to the meeting with the meeting being held on the Tuesday. Other counties have a timeline of almost a week.
5.3 FOIP request re: land purchase concerns at Caroline and Rocky. A FOIP request concerning the land purchases by the county was previously tabled. Items to be included in the request were discussed and a motion was made by Trish Bingham to go ahead with the request. Jim Foesier seconded. Carried.
6.0 New Business
6.1 Report from last council meeting. (Helge Nome).
- Marshall Morton recommended upgrading of piers for the James River Bridge at a cost of $100,000. Accepted by council as information.
- Rick Emmons requested that the real estate agent selling lots for the county in Nordegg be authorized to change the lot price to a maximum of 12%. Approved.
- A committee has developed a “Clearwater Economic Profile Brochure “to promote the region. Nice Job.
6.2 Letter to Municipal Affairs with concerns for up-coming Municipal Review. The preliminary review is a meeting with the councillors and Ron Leaf. Marianne Cole has drafted a letter to send to Municipal Affairs outlining our concerns.
6.3 Fundraising. There is a potential for fundraising to the CCTA through a bingo hall in Rocky that will work with non-profits.
6.4 Annual meeting speaker. There was discussion about who should be asked to be the guest speaker at the CCTA annual meeting. It was moved by Ken Qually that we will invite Jason Nixon to discuss carbon tax implications. Seconded by Robert Brattberg. Carried.
6.5 Next year’s elections. The election for our county councillors is next year. We will encourage candidates to run in the next election in The Beacon.
6.6 Property taxes. There are concerns with the increase in property taxes with non-profits required to apply for an exemption from taxes.
7.0 Open Forum.
7.1 Financial Statement. The county financial statement was published in the newspapers and there is a question of 1/3 of expenses going to amortization. 18.7 million. What are the details of what this amount consists of?
8.0 Next Meetings: October 13, 2016 @ 7:30 p.m. and Annual meeting November 10, 2016 @ 7:30 p.m.
9.0 Adjournment. Dan Warkentin moved the meeting be adjourned at 9:40 p.m. Ron Hallahan seconded.